How checking accounts work
When you write a check, you are telling the bank to pay someone a certain amount of money. The sample check below shows 6 areas you will need to fill in when you write a check. The numbers are explained below. Move your mouse over the check to see a sample filled in.
How to fill in each line:
1. Date: month, day, year.
2. Name of the person or business that gets the check.
3. Amount of the check using numbers
4. Write the amount of dollars using words. Write the amount of the cents using numbers. Draw a line to the word “dollars.”
5. Write a note to remember what the check was for. And then enter the check in your register.
6. This where you sign your name. Don’t sign your name until you are ready to give the check to the person it is for.
Practice filling in a check online
Practice writing number words
On Method 1, click on the numbers
you want to practice: 0 – 10, 0 – 100, etc.
Back to Checking Accounts