Choosing a Bank
Find a bank that is convenient for you and where you feel comfortable. Ask your friends and family which banks they like. Visit or call some banks or credit unions to see if you like the way you are treated.
What to ask
- What types of accounts do you have?
- What identification do I need to open an account?
- How much money do I need to open an account?
- Do I need to keep a certain amount of money (“minimum balance”) in my account?
- Is there a phone number I can call to check my balance? Is it a free call?
- What hours is the bank open?
- Do you have ATM machines?
- Is there one near my work or home?
- Can I bank on the Internet?
- How do you keep my information private?
You can use this form to help think about what type of bank you want.
Back to Bank Accounts